covenantheader

Home | About Us | Church History | Ministries | News | Photo Galleries | Contact & Directions

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
of Maple Heights - 1920


Mission in Maple Heights


Maple Hts Town Hall

       As early as 1919 members of St. Andrew's, living in Maple Heights, recognized the mission possibilities in their own community; and by 1920 the English District Mission Board had been persuaded to call a missionary to this field, with the local members of St. Andrew's serving as a nucleus for the new congregation. The Rev. Richard P. Oehlschlaeger, just out of service as a Camp Pastor during World War I, accepted the call. Under Pastor Oehlschlaeger's able leadership Trinity Lutheran Church of Maple Heights, Ohio, was organized.

Rev Richard Oehlschlaeger

       They worshipped in the Maple Heights Town Hall until they were able to build their own space. Soon they broke ground and built a basement church on Friend Avenue. This photo of the groundbreaking ceremony in 1926 shows houses across the street that are still standing on Friend Avenue today.

1926 Groundbreaking
Trinity on Friend Ave

       Trinity continued to grow and prosper during the ensuing years. In 1945, St. Andrew's Evangelical Lutheran Church petitioned Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church to consider the possibility of merging the two congregations, in order to relocate in the new and rapidly developing residential area to the east in Maple Heights. The merger was effected on March 17, 1947, the new congregation being incorporated under the name "The Lutheran Church of the Covenant."

On Their Own

    On January 13, 1930, Trinity resolved to become a self-supporting congregation (instead of a mission outreach branch of St. Andrews), and endured the hardships of the Great Depression and World War II. The progress in growth of Trinity Church from then into mid-1945, was continuous, though slow. Maple Heights, as a suburban community of Cleveland, did not expand as rapidly as expected. Transportation difficulties also prevented rapid growth. The years of the great depression from 1930 on caused many residents to move elsewhere, some of our own members being among those affected.

    Financially, Trinity held its own, gradually paying off its indebtedness. In 1940 a campaign to raise $1450.00 to liquidate the remaining debt on the church was successful. In April, 1944, Trinity began a post-war building fund, the goal being $7500, to be completed by for their 25th Anniversary in June of 1945. Trinity was looking forward to a better era of growth and prosperity and was looking hopefully into the future. Then St. Andrews brought a new idea to the table.


Additional Documents

Click on image for larger view of this article.Article Trinity Anniv

Click on image for Dedication of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church Dedication Booklet from October 24, 1925.

1925 Trinity Dedication

Return to Top


Our First 100 Years

  Our website features articles about the long, rich history of The Lutheran Church of the Covenant, including its founding congregations, St. Andrew Lutheran Church of Cleveland, which was founded in 1912, and Trinity Lutheran Church of Maple Heights, which was founded in 1920. Please use the links below to learn more.


Church History 1912 St. Andrew 1920 Trinity Lutheran 1947 Merger
1950 Construction 1951 Dedication of Building 1957 Education Wing Other Fixtures