covenantheader

Home | About Us | Church History | Ministries | News | Photo Galleries | Contact & Directions

St. Andrew Lutheran Church - 1912

From Cleveland to Maple Heights
St Andrew Photo

Rev Walter A Auping    The roots of Lutheran Church of the Covenant reach back to April 23, 1912. The date on which St. Andrew's Church of Cleveland, Ohio was organized. Under the blessing of God and the able pastorate of the Rev. Walter A. Auping, the congregation grew and prospered, becoming permanently established in a Bungalow-Chapel on Miles Park Avenue.

    As early as 1919 members of St. Andrew’s viewed the mission possibilities of Maple Heights, and by 1920 the Mission Board of the English District Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod had been persuaded to call a Missionary to this field, The Rev. Richard P. Oehlschlaeger accepted the call. Under his leadership Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church of Maple Heights, Ohio was organized in June of the same year.


Life and Times at St. Andrews

Here are some of the "St. Andrews Quarterly" newsletters from our archives.
1920-12-01        1921-07-01        1938-01-09


    The St. Andrews congregation endured the hardships of the Great Depression and World War II and saw slow progress in growth.

Rev Philip Swigart    In March of 1941 the Lord called the Rev. Walter A. Auping to his eternal rest. The Rev. Philip F. Swigart succeeded him as Pastor of St. Andrew's.

    Five years later St. Andrew’s Evangelical Lutheran Church petitioned Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church to consider the possibility of merging the two congregations, in order to relocate in the new and rapidly developing residential area to the east in Maple Heights.


Return to Top


Our First 100 Years

  Our website features articles about the long, rich history of The Lutheran Church of the Covenant, including its founding congregations, St. Andrew Lutheran Church of Cleveland, which was founded in 1912, and Trinity Lutheran Church of Maple Heights, which was founded in 1920. Please use the links below to learn more.


Church History 1912 St. Andrew 1920 Trinity Lutheran 1947 Merger
1950 Construction 1951 Dedication of Building 1957 Education Wing Other Fixtures